Freestanding bathtubs are all the rage these days. With their elegant build, a freestanding bath can allow you to jazz up the vibe of your bathroom in no time. But if you’re considering bathroom renovations, you want more than just elegance and beauty. You want practicality. You might want the familiarity and ease that a classical built-in bath provides.
A built-in bath is usually the easier choice to go with. It fits well into the structure of your bathroom, doesn’t take up as much space, and is a more feasible option for many. But does that mean it’s the best option for you?
This article looks into the primary features and differences between a freestanding bath and a built-in bath. After looking through the main pros and cons of each, you’ll be able to make the right decision for your home.
The standard built-in tub is reliable for a good reason. They are often used by many for the practicality they provide. Let’s see what advantages such a trustworthy old design can give us:
- It saves space! If you have a smaller bathroom, then don’t worry. A built-in tub will fit in with your walls and leave you extra room.
- It’s more economical. Depending on your choice of design, a built-in tub will almost always cost less.
- It can be multipurpose. Add some fancy tapware and a shower to your built-in bath for a combined experience.
While they’re great for a variety of practical reasons, built-in tubs do have their disadvantages.
- They offer less flexibility. They can only fit into one area. And once they’ve been installed, you can’t change your mind and move them around.
- They’re difficult to install. You need a lot of time and effort to install one of these into your bathroom.
Chic, elegant, and demanding attention, the freestanding bath is a new entrant and a favorite for many. Let’s see what advantages it allows:
- You get a lot of choices! Freestanding tubs are found in all sizes and forms. So, no matter what you want, you can rest assured there’s a freestanding tub to meet your needs.
- Easier to install. You don’t have to fit these into a wall and risk undergoing a construction nightmare. You can install it easily and have it look good anywhere in the bathroom.
- It looks great! It might be a steeper option in terms of price, but there’s no doubt that a freestanding bath really elevates the look and vibe of your bathroom.
They might be a fan favorite, but freestanding baths don’t really provide the best solutions for the average practical bathroom owner.
- They can be extremely heavy. While easy to install, they do require you to have a much sturdier bathroom structure due to their weight.
- Less storage space. Where built-in baths provide extra shelves and corners, a freestanding tub will take up more surface area and provide little to no storage space for your bathroom products.
Do Your Research Before Making A Choice
Ultimately, the choice is yours. If you want a more practical, old-fashioned option, go for a built-in bathtub. If you’re looking for something with a more elegant, modern vibe, a freestanding tub is the one for you.
However, if you’re unsure of how they’ll fit into your space, take a look around before you decide. Attend some bathroom showrooms and see how each type of tub could potentially fit into your space. Take into consideration how each bath fits, how it looks, how much space it takes, and how much it appeals to you before you make a decision.